e-Stewards Certification is a leading global program designed to ensure proper handling and disposal of old electronic equipment. The e-Stewards logo allows individuals and organizations the ability to identify recyclers that adhere to the highest standard of environmental responsibility and worker protection. e-Stewards Certification is open to electronics recyclers, refurbishers and processors.
The e-Stewards Standard for Responsible Recycling and Reuse of Electronic Equipment, Version 1.0, was released on July 15, 2009. The intent of the standard is to provide a rigorous set of criteria to ensure Responsible recycling and reuse of electronic equipment from cradle to grave while protecting human health and the global environment.
A few of the key components of e-Stewards include:
- ISO 14001 certification, which is embedded into the e-Stewards standard.
- Prohibits disposal of toxic wastes from electronic equipment in solid waste landfills and incinerators.
- Requires compliance with international hazardous waste treaties for exports and imports of electronics, and specifically prohibits the export of hazardous waste from developed to developing countries.
- Prohibits the use of prison labor in the recycling of toxic wastes from electronics, which often have sensitive data embedded.
- Requires baseline protections for and monitoring of recycling workers in every country, including developed nations where toxic exposures are routinely taking place.
- Is written for international use
The standard was developed by leaders in the e-waste industry with the intent that the standard could be implemented by all types and sizes of companies. The standard is not only based on ISO 14001 but also incorporates significant components of Occupational, Health and Safety, data sanitization, social accountability and other BAN requirements. Regardless of a company’s size and the type of e-waste processing conducted on-site, the e-Stewards certification program provides a high level of confidence that a recycler consistently conforms to the e-Stewards Standard.
Certification to e-Stewards will provide your company with many benefits, such as:
- Positioning yourself for federal contracts since the federal government now requires all federal facilities to recycle their e-waste with a certified e-Stewards or R2 recycler.
- Demonstrates to customers that your company is in compliance with domestic and international laws.
- Instills public confidence through certified third party review.
- Helps protect against environmental and human health impacts from improper recycling.
- Promotes safe and effective recovery and reuse of equipment to those who need them.
- Helps reduce mining and processing of virgin materials, which will reduce environmental impact by conserving our limited natural resources.
Be a leader in the e-waste industry and get certified to e-Stewards. For more information on e-Stewards or to receive a quote for certification please contact us at 1-800-800-7910 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for a Project Manager in your area.
Useful Links for e-Stewards:
- RC®14001:2015 Technical Specification
- ISRI releases video touting benefits of e-scrap recycling
- Basel Action Network
- New Federal Strategy Promotes Electronics Recycling
- e-Stewards has released the Sanctioned Interpretation for V 2.0 e-Stewards